Sunday night, July 21st, we went to the hospital ready for baby Sam to join our family. We got there around 8:00pm to check in and get hooked up. Wendy and her family had come to visit us for the whole week and stayed at home to watch Luke while we were at the hospital.
Sunday night was uneventful and Monday morning I got started with pitocin, quickly followed by an epidural. My contractions were coming at a steady pace and I was dilated to a 5, so everyone thought this baby would be here by mid afternoon. Mom showed up, anxiously awaiting this little monkey's arrival, but nothing was progressing. Later that day my Dad showed up with Paige. I loved that she wanted to come. I was able to see Paige enter the world, and although she is only 12 and wouldn't be in the room when Sam was being born, I loved that she wanted to be a part of this experience.
7:00pm rolls around and I am having contractions every 30 seconds, but they are small and non progressive. The night nurses came back on, and I was lucky enough to get the same nurse I had the night before. She was shocked I hadn't had my baby yet, so she checked to see what was going on. When she was feeling around, she said she thought she was feeling a bottom!
Fear quickly entered my mind and I thought, c-section. So she called Dr. Ghausi so he could do an ultra sound to make sure. He was there in less than 20 minutes and confirmed that Sam had turned during the course of labor and was not going to be able to be delivered vaginally. Instantly tears started steaming down my face. Not that there is anything wrong with having a c-section. I was just scared and that option wasn't even an option my whole pregnancy. So as I tried to wrap my brain around the idea that Sam was coming through c-section, everyone else started to get things prepared.
Dad and Austin gave me a blessing to calm my nerves, but I was still crying uncontrollably. I loved delivering Luke. I loved the experience and felt like I was getting cheated out of having Sam. But the important part is that he got here safe and I'm so happy that he came to our family.
At this point it was around 9:30ish. The nurse asked what music I liked to listen to so she could play it during surgery, but I just cried and said I didn't care. Austin yelled from the background, "She likes Michael Buble!"
Mom and Austin were able to be in the room with me, and my sweet anesthesiologist held my hand and tried to ask me questions and make jokes to help me through it. I found out that he is a member of the church. He held my hand the whole time, while Austin and my mom held the other. 10:14, Sam entered the world, bum first. I could hear him crying, but everything was kind of a blur. I remember looking over as they were cleaning him up, and then Austin taking him out to get a bath and weighed.
I remember my Mom saying, "Is that the womb?" Later she told me that the Dr. was holding my uterus just sewing it up! I think I am still in shock that I was cut open and sewen back together.
Sam Bradley Baillio joined our family at 10:14pm, July 22, 2013 weighing in at 6 pounds 9 ounces, and 19 inches long.
He is such a sweet baby. He is so even tempered and calm. The only time he cries is when we wants to eat, and he gives you no warning, it's I'm hungry and I'm hungry now! He is a joy to have in our family. Luke loves him too and is doing great. We count Sam's toes every day to make sure he still has 10. Luke has been a great helper getting me diapers and helping burp Sam, he even shows Sam how to burp.
Since I had a c-section I stayed in the hospital for a week, which was a long time, but nice to be able to get some sleep and recover. Mom stayed with me everyday keeping me company and helping with Sam, while Wendy took Luke to my mom's house to be with Kim and her family for the week. I have the best family ever.
Luke was spoiled by his Aunts, which I love and am truly grateful for. We came home Friday and on Saturday were lucky enough to get visits from Kim and co, Wendy and co. and Adam and co.! We had a full house and lots of helpers wanting to hold Sam. It was so much fun to have family around. I am so blessed.
Mom stayed for the whole next week to help, which was great. Recovery has been different and I'm still adjusting, but we are working it out. Wendy loaded us up with freezer meals and then when Mom had to go and I finished crying, Jill was able to come for a week.
Luke and Scott had fun playing, Jill took them swimming, to the beach and on lots of bike rides. I think they were getting cabin fever and started to bug each other by the end of the week, but all in all we had a great time, and it was so nice to have Jill's help. She made sure we were set up for another week with laundry, food and cleaning.
Now we are all alone, and doing great. Sam had his 3 week appt and is already up to 8 pounds 2 ounces! He really is such a good baby, I lucked out!




























2 comments:
Cutest baby ever! So happy he's here...when can I start spoiling him too? Love you all!
Oh my goodness, I love all the sweet pictures of Sam. He is so adorable and I know fits perfectly in your family. Thanks for having us all up there among all the confusion and craziness. It was just what we needed!
Post a Comment